All Saturday wānanga will run “face to face” at Turuki Manukau and Friday session will remain on Zoom. Attendees will be advised of how to connect to the online Hapu Wānanga Classes closer to the date of the Wānanga. Please ensure your email address is correct when registering.
Antenatal wananga run several times each year on Fridays and Saturdays from 9:45am to 3:30pm. You can book your place on this site.
Turuki Health Care offers a different, more culturally informed option to traditional antenatal classes.
Instead of several sessions, we run a one-day antenatal wananga focussing on the possibility of natural and whānau-centred birthing. Wahine attending the wananga are empowered with knowledge and encouraged to take pride and find value in the bringing of new life.
This one day programme supports wahine and their whanau to prepare for labour and birth. Our experienced Maori midwives will facilitate a wananga with you, your partner and/or whānau to diminish any barriers to a successful birth. They have been successfully supporting South Auckland women through these wananga since 2008. Here is some feedback we have received:
“I felt welcomed from the moment we met, what a lovely team of midwives!”
“Learning the ways of my people has made me feel more connected to the birth of my child.”
A young father-to-be added his thanks. “They taught me how I can be there to support my partner,” he wrote. “I was scared. Not anymore.”
Our facilitators are registered midwives, carefully selected for their knowledge, warmth and cultural competency.
Please register via the booking system and our administrator will contact you via email with more information.
To be eligible you must:
- Be pregnant
- Live in Counties Manukau
- Be a NZ Resident or Citizen
Registration and Queries:
- Book online at this link https://turukihealthcare.org.nz/bookings/
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call or text Mercy: 021960135
Ready to go? You can make a booking for one of our antenatal wananga on this site by clicking the button below.Make a Booking
Mokopuna Ora Pregnancy and Parenting Programme with Turuki Healthcare Trust.
The free antenatal Wananga is from a Te Reo Maori perspective and is open to all pregnant women including adoptive parents to be and their whanau who live in Counties Manukau/
Pregnancy – Labour and birth
This one day programme supports women, their partner and whanau with information to help prepare for labour and birth, getting breastfeeding started, early days with a new baby and becoming and family. All sessions are available in Mangere, Manukau and Franklin areas.
Telephone:0800 HAPUWA (0800 427 892)
We find the single-day, the daytime format offers major benefits for our mothers-to-be.
- Easier scheduling. You only have to travel once and never at night; and if your partner and/or whānau are coming along to support you they can request a single day off work or study, rather than trying to ‘juggle’ several separate appointments.
- Unhurried pace. A full day format allows for the organic and unhurried inclusion of tikanga, as well as time to explore issues in more depth if you wish.
- Relationship-building. Spending a day talking, learning and sharing kai together allows for the development of rich relationships. We have two facilitators at every wananga, so one can present while the other answers questions or attends to participants’ needs or concerns.
All our facilitators are registered midwives, carefully selected not only for their knowledge but also for their warmth and cultural competency.
Antenatal wananga are run several times each year. You can book your place on this site.