Healthy Tamariki, Healthy Lives
Turuki Health Care is the largest provider in New Zealand of a national rheumatic fever prevention programme.
- Our team currently works in 21 schools in the Mangere area.
- Through the School Health Network programme, we see around 20,000 children and young people each year.
- Turuki’s delivery of this programme offers a unique opportunity to access children and youth who may require additional support but are not yet engaging with services.
- This opportunity even extends to Y-NEET (youth not in education, employment or training) as their access may be through connections with their siblings and/or whānau members.
- Children and whānau at the highest risk of infectious diseases are able to access comprehensive primary care services in school settings ensuring that health conditions are identified and treated early.
- Health promotion is delivered to children within school, community and home settings.
- School health teams connect with social service agencies and school staff to support the best outcomes for children.
- Family and whānau develop trusting, enduring relationships with school health team.
- We have better engagement with complex families with whom health services has difficulty engaging in care.